Skip to main content

A Change in Plans

Mere days before I'm off to the TNNA trade show in Columbus, I found myself heading down to Kansas City unexpectedly.  Good thing Tyler had a three-day weekend and we live near an airport with 24-hour car rental, because last-minute plane fares were insane.  I suppose many would still chose the convenience of flying over a 9-hour drive both ways, but I would much rather do the crazy road trip.  

Last Thursday night, my grandfather was moved into 24-hour hospice because he'd taken a turn for the worse; it seemed the timeline we were looking at would put the funeral smack dab in the middle of the TNNA trade show - isn't that how these things always go?  I'm sure my boss, coworkers, and clients would understand it if I chose to attend my grandfather's funeral instead of coming to the trade show, but then I would be letting all of them down and leave them holding a sizable bag (actually, they'd be screwed, because we need all hands on deck to staff the booth AND meet with clients concurrently).   And then, the other side of the coin, I would feel like a selfish turd for choosing work over saying goodbye to my grandfather and being there for my family.

Of course, these things are always a guessing game.  He could hold on for another week or month.  In fact, he has made such improvements in the last 24 hours, he was taken off of 24-hour hospice (and is back to regular hospice), if you can believe that.  He's comfortable and his vital signs are surprisingly good today, more importantly he isn't in any pain, and I still have a shred of hope that I can come back from Columbus and drive back down to Kansas City to attend the funeral.  Is that insane?  I don't know, probably.  We're getting ready to drive back to Chicago today.  I still have plenty of work to do before getting rental car #2 to drive the five hours to Columbus this Thursday, plus the nagging suspicion I'm forgetting to do something really important to prepare for the show.

However, I am so happy that I was able to drop everything and say goodbye to him in person and give a modicum of comfort to my parents and uncle.  I wish it could be more, but it's time to get back home so Tyler can go to work tomorrow.  I've got some yarn waiting for me when I get home - on Thursday night, I did what any sensible knitter would have done after receiving bad news: I bought enough luxury yarn to make a Color Affection shawl.  I don't forsee much knitting time in the near future, but I think it will be the perfect project for a time like this (sadly, I am putting my attempt at seamless crochet on hold til I can give it my full attention).

There were some great photos in my Grandpa's room that I hadn't ever seen before, so I tried to capture them via instagram - here's one of him with my Grandma when they were young rascals:



Comments

  1. So glad you went. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm sure my boss, coworkers, and clients would understand it if I chose to attend my grandfather's funeral instead of coming to the trade show, but then I would be letting all of them down ..... I would feel like a selfish turd for choosing work over saying goodbye to my grandfather and being there for my family."

    I think we may be related. I can't tell you how much this resonated with me, for so many reasons.

    You, and your family (and your work) will be much in my thoughts this week.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your support, Sam & Lorena!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b