Skip to main content

FO & Fiber Friday

Last week, I discovered that my blog readership was comprised mostly of enablers! Not that I'm complaining, since I rather liked the encouragement to work on as many projects as I like. I haven't been allowing myself too much freedom in that regard, but the gloves came off last weekend and I have to thank my blog readers for that! First, I started a very simple baby hat while on the bus; you may recognize it from last week's post, though I ended up not following a pattern after all (I didn't want to consult a chart while on-the-go). A few days later, I was done with my Cutie Patootie KAL/CAL baby hat! I used Cotton Comfort from the Green Mountain Spinnery, and I probably have enough left over to make another baby hat, or perhaps some matching booties!

Over the weekend, I also started crocheting a retro mushroom potholder (available for free on the Lion Brand Website). I never thought I'd be the type to make a potholder, but I couldn't resist this awesome pattern. Also, I am going to make all of the birthday and holiday gifts this year instead of doing the store-bought thing, so I've been looking for useful items that are quick to make. I used Dishie yarn from Knit Picks (though I was careful to use my Paypal account when checking out - the last thing I need it to have my debit card number stolen again), which was really nice to crochet with, though one of the colors I ordered ended up being much darker than I was anticipating. Buyer beware when purchasing yarn online, right?!

The big FO to share this week is my destash Constitution Hall Scarf, which I actually finished a week ago last Thursday night, but didn't get a chance to block it til last weekend (and I still need to properly block it so that the lace edging looks the way it should). I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, though I ended up making it a tad shorter than the pattern calls for on account of I ran out of yarn!. I think it'll still do the trick, plus I was able to block it to be a little longer and skinnier than it was when I initially finished it. The two sides are slightly uneven due to the running-out-of-yarn issue, but I doubt anyone will notice when I'm wearing it.

I also got a few more treats in the mail this week: my first shipments from the Sweet Georgia Fibre and Sock Yarn clubs! I hope this isn't a spoiler for anyone, but I am just too excited not to share today! The fibre is Merino+Tencel (a 50/50 blend) that is very shimmery and lustrous; an informational card is included to share special characteristics of the fiber and suggestions for how to spin it and what to make with the finished yarn. The skein pictured below is Twinkle Sock, which is a 3-ply 50/50 blend of superwash merino and tencel; the informational card gives a fiber overview and suggestions for projects that are best suited for the yarn. Both are dyed in a special colorway called "Bubble Bath" which is a mix of blues and purples inspired by the iridescent, transparent colors of soap bubbles. I haven't decided what to make with either of these just yet, but they will both be excellent for summer projects!
This new fiber has proved to be just what I needed to finish the merino that has been in progress on my wheel for several weeks, and last night I also spun through my art batt from YarnCon! Since this post is long enough as it is, I hope you'll join me back here tomorrow for a special edition of Spinning Saturday for all the details!


For more FO Friday inspiration, visit the Tami's Amis blog!

Have a crafty weekend!

Comments

  1. Ohhhh that fibre makes me so happy! I'm looking forward to seeing it spun! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey! Spinning Saturday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b