Friday, May 22, 2015

FO Friday: So Much Spinning!

My recent guest post on the Woolery blog (click here if you missed it!) was all I needed to get excited about spinning again, apparently. Last weekend, I finished the spinning project which I had started in April: some very vibrant dyed BFL top which I had actually purchased from the Woolery earlier this year (the colorway is called Poppies in Oz, which is pretty fitting!).
If you are familiar with spinning BFL, you will be a little surprised with this fiber because it's not quite as silky as most commercially-available BFL tops. Instead, it feels quite sturdy, and that's because this particular fiber comes from New Zealand Blue-Faced Leicester sheep, whose fleece clocks in at the higher end of the micron count (remember, the lower the number, the softer the fiber!). Just because it's not silky-soft doesn't mean this fiber doesn't have a place in your spinning or knitting routine - in fact, I have big plans for the resulting skein of handspun, but I'm getting ahead of myself. 

As I was saying, Rosie's BFL Top is a nice workhorse fiber, and it's an excellent deal at the moment ($10 for 8oz!). The dyed colors are bright and lustrous, and it's a pretty easy spin. I have about 100 yards of a very sturdy 2-ply bulky weight yarn which I spun from just one 8oz package of fiber. 
Once my in-progress spinning project was complete, I couldn't resist tackling the Jacob fiber I'd just dyed for my guest post. This is some of the fiber which I won during Spinzilla last year, but you can get it from the Woolery here and here if you'd like to give it a try. This Jacob sliver is part of the Canterbury Prize Group from Louet, which is a group of carefully selected fibers selected with care in cooperation with growers in New Zealand, England, and throughout the globe. Each package includes a certificate which shares details about the growers and fiber.
The Jacob sliver took dye beautifully, and I was excited to give it a spin. My original plan was to divide the top into two halves and spin singles to ply together, but then I thought it might be more of a challenge to divide it into thirds and spin thinner singles than I typically attempt. It was a little tricky at first, but eventually I got the hang of it.
The fiber drafted easily, and I did a fairly decent job of matching up all three plies in terms of color placement. I really like the barber-pole effect of one ply for each color transition.
The result is about 110 yards of a colorful 3-ply; the yarn is definitely a bulky weight, with a WPI of 6. I decided to wind it into a cake so that the gradient effect was more evident:
Thanks for joining me this week - have a safe & happy holiday weekend! Also, don't forget to enter my Manos Alegria giveaway which ends next Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. Great guest post, and I love how the yarn spun up! It's so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful! I love the long color stretches in your roving, and subsequent yarn!

    ReplyDelete