Skip to main content

2015 Wisconsin Sheep & Wool Festival

It's been such a busy week, I haven't had a chance to share all of the awesome stuff I bought at the Wisconsin Sheep & Wool Festival last weekend! Being on a budget and having some very specific pre-Spinzilla needs, I made a list of what I was looking for at the show ahead of time. Believe it or not, this is me sticking to that list - really! My only yarn purchase was a skein of Xanadu yarn from Bijou Basin Ranch. It's their new fingering weight cashmere and I had to get my mitts on it. So soft! Are you surprised to see that I chose grey??
My next quest was to find some gradient roving for my yak cardigan because I want to use a handspun gradient for the yoke colorwork detail. I was 99% sure that I would find what I needed in the Fiber Optic booth - and I was right!
I also wanted to get a fair amount of either grey or black alpaca fiber to blend with colorful bits of fiber on my new blending board. Naturally, I ended up coming home with both. Oops!
The final thing on my shopping list was blending fiber, and lots of it! In particular, I really wanted to check out something I saw on Knitty, the Jar of Inspiration from Mielke's Fibers. This cool little jar is stuffed to the gills with a variety of fibers in the same color family - I could definitely see myself picking up a few more in different colors at a later date (they sell them online, too!). Cleverly placed near the Jars of Inspiration were these small bits of Alpaca/Silk roving which I couldn't resist. And while I'd vowed not to buy any more Cloudlover spinning fiber because I have so many braids in my fiber stash already,  but I couldn't resist a superwash fiber grab bag for blending purposes. Of course!
That pretty much filled up my tote bag and exhausted my budget, which meant it was time to look at some sheep. We happened to walk into the hall of breeds right as the sheep shearing demonstration started, which is always cool to watch:
Just getting my hairs did, NBD!
We said hello to some fleecy friends, such as...
An adorable pile of British Soay.
This handsome fellow is an Awassi.
This friendly Suffolk was all too happy to pose for my photo.
These fuzzy little guys are Babydoll Southdowns. As the name would imply, they are quite petite!
...and this guy with the coolest marking ever!
There were some pretty interesting rug hooking projects on display as well (and some ladies who were happily hooking nearby). These were two of my favorites:
Of course, a trip to Wisconsin isn't  complete without stopping for some New Glarus beer to take home:
I can't think of a better way to kick off the fall knitting season. I'm looking forward to playing with all of my new fiber treats and preparing some beautiful rolags to spin during Spinzilla next month!


Comments

  1. I spun up a couple braids of Fiber Optics gradients a year or so ago - you're making me want to pull out the last braid I have in my stash!

    I'm going to have to check out the Jar of Inspiration - looks super cool - but that probably means I'll have to start seriously looking for a blending board, too. You are making my Christmas list grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh you got some lovely fiber to play with! I love that gradient, and the yak yarn sounds devine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I JUST finished drinking some Serendipity and Belgian Red - I liked Serendipity better and my partner was all about the Belgian Red. Both of us agreed though - both beers are excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b