Wednesday, June 1, 2016

WIP Wednesday: Too Many WIPs!

It seems like I've worked through the worst of the arm issues. I'm not 100%, but I am much improved and able to knit a little more than before, thanks mostly to a very stylish compression sleeve I've been wearing on my forearm. It's insane to think that just one little piece of fabric could make such a difference, but ever since I gave it a try, I haven't had to ice my arm AT ALL. I'm still stretching and taking frequent breaks, but I can honestly credit the compression sleeve with the most meaningful contribution. Go figure!

So now I find myself with a LOT of WIPs on the needles - way more than I am usually comfortable with! If I include the cozy memories blanket, the grand total is 8...and I usually like to limit myself to 3 or 4 max as a general rule. Any more than that and I start to feel weirdly stressed about how many WIPs I have languishing, so I am trying to stay focused and get at least a few projects off the needles before I head to TNNA in a few weeks. I've made the most noticeable progress on the Merope Mitts - I'm about halfway through the second one!
I've also been working on the Astrid Hat that I started with some new-to-me yarn last week. It's been a little slower going because the gauge is a little tighter than the mitts project (both are worked on US 6 needles, but the mitts are DK and the hat is worsted weight).
Since tight gauge and small yarn seems to things off, I've been avoiding the three sock project WIPs, and it's honestly driving me a little crazy. If I can't ever knit socks again for realsies I will be incredibly sad. I still haven't had the courage to pick up a sock project again, even with the Magical Compression Sleeve - silly, I know! Anyway, in the interim I decided I should start another new project with some DK yarn and US 6 needles and 3 skeins of probably-not-cashmere yarn I got at TNNA about four years ago in the Lotus Yarns booth (if you're wondering, they recently had a flap about mink yarn that contained 0% mink, and I'm not terribly convinced that this 100% cashmere is for real, either). I decided to modify Joji Locatelli's 3 Color Cashmere Cowl into a DK weight project after cruising all of the finished projects on Ravelry to see how people were modifying the pattern for heavier weights of yarn. As you can see, I am not very far along, but I am hoping it will make for a good travel project next month.
That's it for this week, I hope you had a safe and happy holiday weekend. See you back here for FO Friday!




1 comment:

  1. I don't have arm issues and I still need a break from socks once in a while. They're really tough on joints / hands / etc. I'm sure you'll be able to get back to them eventually but I wouldn't rush it while you're healing.

    ReplyDelete