Monday, July 10, 2017

Yarn Spotting at the Ballpark

I have a vague recollection of reading something about how some US textile mills began supplying yarn for the manufacturing of baseballs as a way to survive when production moved overseas, but I was still surprised and delighted to see this display during a recent visit to the Royals Hall of Fame:

IMG_5930

Who knew that there were THREE different kinds of yarn inside every baseball?! Turns out, the construction of a baseball is a very precise science - and yes, each yarn has exact specifications for fiber content and constructions that must be met.

While I was doing a little more research about the yarn-baseball link, I turned up this really cool blog post about a visit to one of the very mills that produces yarn for Major League Baseball, and I also discovered a short-lived team call the Lowell Spinners, which is worth reading about.

You never know where yarn or fiber will pop up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment