Thursday, April 14, 2011

Roar!

Robin 'helps' finish the dino.
Dino is done!  Tuesday night was the second night of The Sweatshop of Love's dinosaur-making class - I spent most of the time sewing the top of the body together because I got super anal-retentive about the placement of the scales.  I'm usually don't worry myself if something is imperfect - after all, it adds character to a project, and in this case, it's just a toy! - but for some reason having wonky scales was really bothering me!  Sometimes the masochism of doing something only to rip it out and do it again is fun, apparently. 

Securing the leg.
At any rate, I spent the lion's share of this morning with Robin purring in my lap as I finished sewing together my dino.  I mentioned in the last blog post that I picked up some good finishing tips - my favorite being something I wish I'd thought to do eons ago:  when attaching legs or other bits and bobs, tie a firm knot with the yarn you're using for sewing.  Especially when you intend to give the FO to a child, this is a great idea because it ensures those wily little ones won't pull off limbs or other small pieces that could be choking hazards.  I ended up knotting the yarn several times as I sewed each leg onto the body - it's a neat trick, and now I know those legs are super secure!

Not only do I have a cute FO to play with, but it was really fun to meet some new knitting people while supporting a local/indie designer.

Pattern:  Roaring Dinosaur by Zoë Mellor from Knitted Toys

Yarn:  Knit Picks Capra in Scarlet (MC); Knit Picks City Tweed DK in Orca (CC)

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I like the choice of red for the body instead of a traditional dinosaur-y color like green or brown. Makes him more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks - sometimes the determination to knit from the stash is a good challenge to think outside the box!

    ReplyDelete