I'm totally mixing up my usual blog schedule from now til the end of year (consider this your fair warning!), which is why I'm sharing a finished project today instead of waiting til Friday. Over the weekend, I managed to finish the sock yarn baby sweater that I've been intermittently working on since October. October! I guess that's what happens when you spend the better part of two months ignoring something on your needles.
At any rate, it's finished and I think it turned out pretty well, although I probably won't be knitting the same pattern again. I used a free pattern on Ravelry and let's just say you get what you pay for: my first indication that this wasn't going to become my go-to baby sweater pattern was the vagueness of some of the instructions. I feel competent enough to fill in the blanks and figure it out myself, but I do find it a little annoying - if I wanted to do that, I wouldn't have been looking for a pattern to knit from in the first place, I would have just winged it.
My pet peeve is when a pattern doesn't tell you how to do something such as decrease in a specific way, but instead says "increase x stitches across the row" or something equally vague (I'm willing to kinda let it slide in a free pattern, but it really infuriates me when I come across it in a paid pattern). My second indication that this wasn't the pattern for me was the picot-like effect the instructions for the neckline decreases produced, which I'm not a fan of. It's something I should have just corrected as I worked, but for whatever reason, I didn't.
Despite these of my criticisms, I do think I managed to make a pretty cute little baby sweater with a very special skein of yarn I'd been saving, and it will undoubtedly look adorable on one of my friends' babies which will be making their appearance in 2015.