Skip to main content

FO Friday: Handspun Aspen Cowl

Between launching a new free hat pattern and celebrating Tyler's birthday (which was on Wednesday), it's been a rather busy week. Also, I totally forgot to share my first guest post from the Interweave blog that went live last Friday - click here to check it out!

Anyway, in the midst of everything, I managed to squeeze in a quick photo shoot for this fun cowl that I recently knit with some of my handspun yarn:
IMG_4870
I can't seem to find any record as to what this fiber is, or where I purchased it, since it was spun for a Tour de Fleece long before I stated to keep better records in my spinning notebook. BUT, I can at least tell you what pattern I used: the Aspen Cowl by Andi Javori (note: affiliate link).
IMG_4888
This was a fairly easy knitting project, and it was fast, too - I just love patterns like that!. The stitch repeats were easy to "read" as I worked, so a lot of mistakes I would normally make were easily avoided just by taking a minute to count stitches or compare to the previous section.

I didn't do the best job of blocking the edges of the cowl because my favorite blocking tool, the Knitter's Pride Knit Blockers, were in use by a different project at the time. Also, I had to let it dry on the floor of my knitting room, and I kept finding it in slight disarray, no doubt from a certain cat who likes to run through the house a breakneck speed.
IMG_4877
However, it lays quite nicely and is easy to wear, plus I love how the colors in the handspun yarn worked up! I had been digging through my bin to find something that would be a suitable substitution for the yarn that was called for in the pattern, and I wasn't totally sure that this skein would be a good match. I'm glad I gave it a try, because I think it turned out great. Two thumbs up!

Comments

  1. After row 34 I have 23 stitches on the needle. When I get to row 35: P1, *K2tog, YO; rep from * to last sts, K1P1 I have three stitches on the needle after the last K2tog, YO leaving 3 unknitted stitches. Please advise

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

App Review & Giveaway: Stash 2 Go

The developers for a paid Ravelry app for iPad and iPhone called Stash 2 Go contacted me earlier this year to see if I was interested in writing a review or their app on their blog. While I don't own an iPad or iPhone, I was able to gift a download to a knitting friend who had an iPad and was willing to let me play around with it for the purposes of this review! This is the first time I've ever accessed Ravelry via an app (on my Android phone, I typically use the m.ravelry.com site), and I found most of it to be easy to use. Some of the features weren’t intuitive to me at first, but once I got the hang of the idiosyncracies, it was smooth sailing. Stash 2 Go makes the most of API functions Ravelry has opened up to developers (there are still several areas which have yet to be completed in the Ravelry programming interface, so developers can only implement what is available through www.ravelry.com/api ). Most of the app's functionality allows the user to view the ...

Australian Superfine Merino Yarn Review & Giveaway

After more than ten years of knitting, I can still have new experiences - even with well-covered territory such as merino yarn! This recent merino experience actually took me by surprise: I've spun with it, I've dyed it, I've knit with it, and I've even crocheted with it...I was pretty sure I knew all there was to know about merino! Turns out, there are four different classifications of merino fiber, sorted by micron count range . At the bottom of the spectrum is Strong Merino , which ranges from 26-22.9 microns; above that is Fine Merino , which ranges from 20.1-23 microns; next up is Extra Fine Merino, which ranges from 20-15.6 microns; and at the very top of the heap is Superfine Merino Wool , with a micron range of 18.5-15.6. If you're into numbers and wondering how these four classes stack up against other fibers you may be familiar with, here are a few for comparison's sake: BFL (Blue-Faced Leicester) has a micron range of 24-28, Cashmere goat down ...

A Finished Sweater, With Cat Hair

After losing Tilly and Robin within a year of each other, I sure didn't think I'd be finding cat hair in my knitting any time soon. But the universe had other ideas. Over the winter, a white feral cat adopted us. I'd noticed her when we moved into our apartment last summer - I would see her hiding in the bushes or sunning herself in the grass when she thought no one was looking. I assumed she was someone's cat until I realized how skittish she was around humans, plus she had a tipped ear, which is a universal sign that a feral/stray cat has been spayed. Neighbors confirmed that she was a feral kitty (descended from several generations of feral cats, in fact), and that she has survived on her wits and whatever food various residents put out for her.  We had some bitterly cold days over the winter, and I just felt so sorry for this poor kitty! I started offering her treats and slowly gained her trust. She didn't even want to come inside our apartment at first, much le...