Skip to main content

Back To Blogging (Kinda Sorta)

Sorry for running silent, but I've been fighting burnout for quite some time and just needed to take a break... not just from blogging, but from spending every waking hour online. It's kind of a requirement for my job, so spending time online outside of those 40ish hours each week has become less and less appealing to me. Sadly, this blog has suffered because of that!

Self care has become the name of the game, starting with spending more time offline. Rest assured, I'm still crafting, but I'm also doing things like decluttering my house (my, we've accrued SO MUCH STUFF in the 7 or so years we've been in this apartment and I'm totally drinking the #konmari kool-aid!), reading comic books, spending more time working out/getting into shape, and trying to finally "adult" a bit (basically this translates as finally going to the dentist after many years of procrastination and dealing with the tooth issues I've been ignoring during that time).

I've also been reflecting on a lot of things relating to crafting, starting with my completely out-of-control yarn stash. I really want to find uses for the yarn I already have, or find some place to donate unused stash if I don't have actual plans for it. I've also been thinking a lot about the kinds of projects I like to make vs. the ones I actually use. How many hats/cowls/shawls can one human use? I have a small rotation of accessories I wear regularly, and the rest sit in storage. Clearly, I need to donate these unused items to people who need them and will actually use them.

Lately, I've also been getting the urge to do some charity knitting as a way to put something positive out into the world. Frankly, the daily news is quite depressing, and there are days I feel quite powerless in the face of this raging dumpster fire. Perhaps you can relate? So other than donating money to causes I believe in, I've started looking for ways I can use my crafting skills to make the world just a tiny bit better. Currently, that means making bears for the Mother Bear Project and knitting some blue hats for the #hatnothate project.
Just finished this adorable bear for the Mother Bear Project!

I'm not sure if this is a topic anyone would like to hear more about in the future, but it is something I plan to do more of going forward. Also, I would love to hear about the charity knitting/crochet projects you enjoy supporting, so please feel free to leave those in the comments!

Last but not least, I want to assure you that I really do have some new blog posts in the works! I plan to share them in the not-so-distant future (topics include brioche knitting, using duplicate stitch to weave in ends in a colorwork project, dealing with color fastness in hand-dyed yarns when you have a very light color used with a very saturated color....y'know, that kinda stuff).

I would love to resume weekly blogging, but I also don't want to go straight back to burnout, or throw up a half-assed post just for the sake of blogging. Even if sporadic, I want to keep sharing useful content with you, and I hope you'll still be interested in reading it whenever that happens.

If so, I highly recommend clicking here to get all future blog posts delivered via email so that you don't miss out on any new posts. Thank you for your support!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b