Skip to main content

Let's Talk About Color Fastness in Hand Dyed Yarns

Hand dyed yarns are all the rage, but checking for color fastness is not a popular topic that the average crafter is excited to discuss. When you've just finished a project and are dying to wear it, even taking time to properly block it can be a tough sell. But checking hand-dyed yarns for color fastness is an important step to take when washing your finished projects, especially if you're doing it for the first time.   

If the dye is properly set in the yarn, you shouldn't have an issue with colors bleeding (also known as crocking) when you wash them. However, factors such as the soap you use to wash your project and the mineral content of your water (which is ever-changing in a lot of places) can affect the fastness of the dye. While a little bit of color release is actually normal for any dyed yarn or fabric when it's washed, it is NOT normal to have the color of your water change dramatically. If it does, that means that the dye was improperly set.

There's truly nothing sadder than having a little excess dye running into a lighter color and marring an otherwise lovely FO.  Here are some steps you can take to prevent this from happening, starting with (you guessed it) actually testing for color fastness.

Color Fast Test Option 1: Prewash skeins BEFORE you knit with them, especially if they are highly saturated colors. such as reds, yellows and pinks, which are particularly susceptible to bleeding. Not only will this step let you know if your yarn is at risk to bleed in the future, it will also reduce the amount of color bleeding in subsequent washes. Translation: it's win-win.


Color Fast Test Option 2: If you forgot to prewash (or, let's face it, just didn't want to!), do the mason jar test! Add some cold or tepid water to a jar, add a tiny bit of your preferred fiber wash, and then add a small amount of the yarn you'd like to test. Shake it around and let it sit for a bit to see if the dye starts to seep into the water. If your water is clear after several minutes, you probably don't have to worry about the colors bleeding when you wash your project.

HOWEVER: You can never be too cautious when it comes to hand-dyed yarns, and when are using something bright with something light or undyed, and ounce of prevention can save you a lifetime of regret!

Using my own recently-finished project as an example, I'll show you some easy ways you can reduce crocking during the  blocking process.


First, let's talk about the project: I knit the Cacoxenite shawl by Hunter Hammersen with one of my favorite yarns from Bijou Basin Ranch, Lhasa Wilderness. This is a blend of yak and bamboo, and in particular, bamboo is a difficult fiber to dye. The gradient skeins I used were actually test dye lots,  which means that there may or may not have been a learning curve for the dyer in question. Because I'm insane, I threw caution to the wind and decided to pair these vibrant gradient cakes with a few skeins of undyed natural cream Lhasa - and no, I didn't prewash the cakes before knitting with them. I like to live dangerously!

I took it as a good sign that absolutely no dye rubbed off on my fingers or needles when knitting with it, but I still decided to test the dyed yarn with the mason jar test mentioned above. Even after letting the yarn soak for hours, the dye didn't bleed, but I still felt the need to take extra steps to prevent any unfortunate mishaps when washing this shawl for the first time. Here are the 3 things I did to make sure this project still looked great after a full immersion wet block:


First, I added a Shout! Color Catcher to the water. You can get a box of 24 for less than five bucks at Target, and let me tell you - that is completely worth the peace of mind.

Second, I made sure to use very cold water, because warm water can encourage the release of dye particles.

Third, I quickly removed the project from the water after soaking for only a few minutes - the longer you leave it in the water, the greater chance you have of your dyes starting to bleed!


Before I show you my gorgeous finished shawl, I have one more tip to share with you: Add vinegar to the wash water to help set the dyes.

Most dyers use a stronger form of citric acid to do this during the dye process, but vinegar is just another form of citric acid that you most likely have in your pantry! While this trick doesn't work for all dyes/fibers, it can never hurt....provided you don't mind it if your yarn smells a little vinegar-y of course!


I hope these tips give you confidence in using hand-dyed yarns with undyed, natural or very light colors in your next project.

And if you haven't already, click here to get all future blog posts delivered to your email inbox!

Like this post? Pin it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b