Wednesday, August 7, 2013

WIP Wednesday: All of the things!

This is the time of year when I  kick my holiday gift-making into high gear, which always poses an interesting problem where blogging is concerned. There are some gifts I can share because I'm pretty sure the person doesn't read my blog - and if they do, it's not readily apparent that said project is for them. Of course, there are still plenty of projects that I don't dare share til after the fact for fear of letting the proverbial cat out of the bag.

Luckily, I can say with a degree of certainty that my grandmother does not read my blog! I dreamed up a weaving project using my Zoom Loom; it's only a modest start, but I plan on making 18 squares total to stitch together into a pillow. I am using commercially spun yarn for the warp and my own handspun for the weft; depending on the number of color combinations I end up with, I will try to do some sort of patchwork pattern when it comes time to sew everything together.



On the bright side, I can continue making a few "selfish" projects here and there. I'll probably hold off on starting another sweater for a bit, but in the mean time, I can finally knit myself a pair of slippers with the yarn I won from the last Holla Knits! blog tour. It doesn't look like much below, but I am making Terry Morris' Mystery Slippers (a free pattern on Ravelry) with a skein of Yarn Hollow Gemini in Emerald:


Over the weekend, I also decided to try my hand at cutting up old t-shirts into yarn. I cast on for a stripy experimental rug using some ginormous #17 needles. I think they're the biggest I've ever used!



Thanks for joining me this week! For more WIP Wednesday inspiration, visit the Tami's Amis Blog!

3 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued how your rugs out of old t-shirts turn out! I might have to try making a few if you like how they look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. darn ... now I want to cut up old t-shirts and make more stash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah tarn! I used the ginormous needles once, for a super bulky cowl, but I just found them awkward. I wish I could find some weaving mojo back :)

    ReplyDelete