Skip to main content

FO Friday: Long Awaited Socks

Today's FO is a long time coming: I gave the yarn to Tyler for Christmas 2015 with an explanation of the project - to knit him a pair of socks which commemorated the 2015 Kansas City Royals season; each of the 4 colors would symbolize a win or a loss either at home or on the road. It was an ambitious project, needless to say.

I didn't cast on until March 28, 2016, and I finished them just in the nick of time before we headed to Kansas City last month - the official "done" date is January 26, 2017. Honestly, they would probably still be on the needles if I hadn't had a fire lit underneath me to finish them so that Tyler could wear them to Fan Fest!

C22B88E5-F2A3-439B-B9AD-707C3E43A306
Unblocked socks are ready for Fan Fest!
Why did this take so long? The obvious answer is that wrangling four balls of yarn is a total PITA - and since I decided to knit them two-at-a-time, that meant I was actually dealing with eight balls of yarn on any given day...so, you kind of had to be "in the mood" to work on such a project, and often I wasn't. Also, that meant that they were strictly an at-home project. My final excuse is that this project (and socks in general, unfortunately) hurt my hands.

For all of those reasons, the finish line kept moving further away from me: before the season ended, by Christmas 2016, and finally, the one that worked - Royals Fan Fest.

IMG_1339

There were a lot of lessons learned along the way. As previously noted, managing four colors while knitting two at a time socks was every bit as fussy as I imagined, and then some. Untangling eight balls of yarn quickly became a hassle, even with cutting colors frequently, all the while knowing that I was creating a nightmare of ends to weave in later.

16124074_303921650010210_5163561664963936256_n_medium2

Honestly, that part wasn't so bad because I packed the socks, a darning needle and TSA-friendly scissors for my flight to TNNA in San Jose and wove in ALL of the ends for one sock on the flight there (it took less than half the flight) and then did the other sock on the way back.

IMG_1196

All that remained were the afterthought heels, which I knitted during the two days I was home before going to KC. There was no time to properly wash and block, but he DID get to wear them to Fan Fest! This was our first one, and I would definitely go again, especially know that I know what to expect.

IMG_1367

The memorial for Yordano Ventura was really lovely, and honestly that sort of helped us all make sense of the tragic and surprising recent events....although I was a little creeped out by the person who dressed up as Ventura and found their way into my photo.

IMG_1358

But there was beer and all of baseball we could handle. Plus, several of my heroes walked within mere feet of me. That was pretty cool.

IMG_1377

Also, I got to meet the manager, Ned Yost, and have him sign a baseball for me.

IMG_0219

Once we got back to Chicago, I was able to finally wash & block the socks properly - here they are drying on some sock blockers!

IMG_1510
I used yarn from Knit Picks and made up my own pattern as I went, but I can tell you that yellow represents away wins, grey represents away losses, blue is home wins and white are home losses. I'm not certain these are 100% accurate, but I think they're pretty darn close. It was a challenge to plan for so many rows in the context of a sock!

Tyler's pretty happy with them, so it was all worth it in the end - but you can bet that I won't attempt a project on this scale again any time soon...which is great because I honestly couldn't replicate this again if I tried, I did a terrible job of keeping track of things!

Thanks for stopping by, have a crafty weekend!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b