Skip to main content

Creativation 2018

Earlier this month, I flew to Phoenix for a new-to-me trade show called Creativation. It's similar to the TNNA trade shows I've attended in years past in that it's specific to the crafts industry, but the similarities pretty much stop there. Creativation is much wider in its scope to include painting, beading, paper craft, edible arts, as well as yarn craft (and I think I saw some felt/fiber craft for good measure, too!). For me, it was heaven, because I've done pretty much every craft at some point in my life, and it was interesting to see how they have evolved since then.

Creativation 2018
Let's just say I hit my step goal every day at the show!

Creativation 2018
Yup, a legit bus route!

The show floor is massive (enough to have its own bus route!!), and many of the booths were quite elaborate. It reminded me a lot of H+H Cologne in that regard, along with the cool gathering places and lounges throughout the show floor.

Creativation 2018
Love this balloon display in the 3M booth.
 
Creativation 2018
The prize-winning Sizzix booth
Creativation 2018
Don't you want to hang out here?
Creativation 2018
Or here?
Creativation 2018
Or here?? (You can paint rocks!!)

What struck me most was the amount of cross-pollination I saw - a knitted cake, cute alpaca and llama displays, and pom poms everywhere.

Creativation 2018
Pom Poms in the Crate Paper Booth

Creativation 2018
Also in the Crate Paper booth - they get me!

Creativation 2018
Knitted Cake in the Satin Ice booth

Creativation 2018
These were pretty cool, I wish I had written down the name of this booth (oops!)
Most of the yarn brands at the show were those you would see at a big-box craft retailer - Lion Brand, Red Heart, etc. - but there were some exhibitors such as Hoooked (who make recycled cotton and t-shirt yarns) and Zen Yarn Garden (a hand dyer you are probably quite familiar with!) who represented the indie niche of the yarn world.

Creativation 2018
Lion Brand Booth

Creativation 2018
Zen Yarn Garden
Creativation 2018
Amigurumi in the Hoooked booth

My company, Stitchcraft Marketing, had a booth where I was dispensing advice all weekend long:

Creativation 2018
Sure, take the photo on the day you're too lazy to wash your hair....
I did manage to escape from time to time to explore the show floor to take in all of the interesting eye candy. I think a lot of knitters and crocheters are starting to explore other crafts (myself included) and I think it's something that the yarn industry should probably embrace, as one type of creativity fuels another, and yarn lovers have that DIY spirit - they just enjoy making stuff, and it's more fun to find a Pinterest tutorial than to head to the store and buy a new vase.

Plus, the craft supplies available now are SO much cooler than I remember them being! There are a ton of inks, paints, and varnishes that do the most amazing things (and I believe that I saw mess-free glitter in the Plaid Craft booth, if that's something you're into).

Creativation 2018
Glitter Unicorns in the Plaid Crafts booth
I also discovered a very cool product called The Holster that I doubt I would have found at any of the other craft shows I attend - it's a silicone container that you can attach anywhere, and I have a feeling I'll be buying a ton in the future because I love the sample I was given at the show (it's holding my scrub brush in the kitchen sink).

Creativation 2018
Make-and-takes, small projects you can do in a booth and then take home with you, are very popular at Creativation. My favorite day was on Sunday, when I happened upon the Llama party in the Fuji Film booth, which a coworker had spotted on Instagram prior to the show and alerted me to. Now my cute little llama is sitting on my desk and I just love him!

Creativation 2018
Apparently this is called "assemblage," for anyone keeping track.

No matter what show I go to, apparently stuff is going to come home with me. I was trying really hard NOT to bring anything home, but there were several very nice people who insisted on gifting me samples and I just couldn't say no. I'm excited to try out the t-shirt yarn (most likely in some weaving projects!), and the washi tapes are already in use. I'll be saving the printed duct tape for shipping Christmas presents this year (so much more festive than regular packing tape!!) and as previously noted, the Holster is already in use. I may even dust off my apron and try my hand at some fancy cupcakes with the fondant sample from Satin Ice. 


Creativation 2018

I would love to return to this show, it was super fun and very inspiring. Although Creativation is closed to the public, they did announce a new show for this fall that anyone can attend called In The MKNG. If you live in the northeast, it might be worth checking out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b