Skip to main content

Review: The Fine Art of Crochet by Gwen Blakley Kinsler

I had the good fortune to meet the author at Vogue Knitting Live Chicago last month, and we ended up exchanging emails and hatching some plans for future promotions together (you can read my recent guest post on Gwen's blog here). Gwen kindly gifted me an eBook version of her beautiful new art book, The Fine Art of Crochet, so that I could share a review with my dear readers.

First, let me say that I always have a hard time getting into reading digital versions of books. I know I'm old-fashioned, but I just love a real printed book - the smell of the paper, the turning of actual pages, the experience of sitting somewhere and reading something that you can hold in your hands (not that you can't hold a Kindle or an iPad in your hands, but it's just not the same). I was a little worried that I'd find it hard to get through a hundred-or-so page book that I only had access to on my laptop, but it turns out that the subject matter was so fascinating, I was practically giving myself eye strain to keep reading.

This is Gwen's third book; the author learned how to crochet in Honduras while serving in the Peace Corps and went on to immerse herself in the fiber arts world by researching art crochet, making her own art, and founding the Crochet Guild of America.
Desert Doily by Carol Hummel.
Used with Permission.

This is an exquisite art book featuring 20 crochet artists; each profile includes background information, interviews, and full-color photographs of the artists' work. The introduction provides a brief but fascinating history of the craft to set the mood, from ancient beginnings to the early days of the crochet revolution through the present-day collaborative community of artistic endeavors and yarnbombing. Each turn of the page will surprise and astonish, giving new respect for a craft which is not always given its due.

The author with artist Pate Conaway.
There is such a huge depth of terrain covered; each artist has a unique style and philosophy which underpins their work. You'll find pieces created not only with yarn, thread and wire, but with more unusual materials such as found objects, a garden hose (yes, it's crocheted!), plastic bags and even human hair, but it's not always the materials which take center stage. Many artists choose to combine surprising imagery within a more 'traditional' context. Nathan Vincent's "Men at Work" piece comes to mind: a delicate triangular-shaped doily version of the "men at work" road sign which is crocheted with fine cotton thread. Another piece by Karen Searle entitled "Body Bag" is also an interesting example: in this piece, the artist has filled a crocheted flax bag with cast paper body parts, an arresting image indeed. Of course, these two examples are but a few of many interesting, beautiful and thought-provoking pieces of work explored throughout this book.

If it sounds like I am gushing, it's because I am! I have always had an interest in fine art, even though I didn't pursue an Art History degree in college (it's a long story, but I had an instructor who was obsessed with fingernails in Peter Paul Rubens paintings which ultimately caused me to change majors). This book is absolutely perfect for art lovers and fiber artists alike - and if they're both, you'll definitely score some brownie points. If you are looking for some new patterns to crochet, this isn't the book you'll find them in: what you WILL find is endless amounts of inspiration and creativity to motivate you in your next project.
Table Husks by Tracy Krumm.
Used with permission.
The Fine Art of Crochet is available in softcover and eBook formats at AuthorHouse, Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b