Skip to main content

Spring Cleaning & Letting Go of the Yarn Stash

Do you ever feel like you might have too much yarn?

Most of us joke that there's no such thing as too much yarn, but on the other side of that coin is Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy (SABLE). It might be early for me, but I already have fears of SABLE, and to be perfectly honest, it makes me sad to look at so many beautiful skeins of yarn going unused, trapped in a storage bin. Perhaps I shouldn't have purchased the clear variety, or stacked them in my office so that I have a near-constant guilt trip as I work, but nevertheless, my stash is starting to bum me out.

IMG_2323
It's all filled with yarn....and there are more bins not pictured! Eep!
Don't get me wrong - I've stashdived plenty for projects in recent years (Find your Fade and So Faded, I'm looking at you especially). The problem is that those efforts are a mere drop in the bucket. Yarn keeps showing up on my doorstep to distract me from my best intentions.

Now, let's add in one more factor: I'm a handspinner, and I spin yarn faster than I knit/crochet/weave with it. That is an unfortunate but undeniable fact.

So, on the average day, I feel as though I might die underneath a mountain of yarn. That may sound glorious or even romantic, but I assure you that the reality is far from it. I carry guilt for all of this yarn that hasn't realized its full potential because I simply don't have enough hours in the day (plus I'm very easily distracted).

This post on the Interweave blog pretty much encompasses my fiber-related existential crisis. Though I spent quite a bit of time in the "depression" stage, I think I have finally moved into acceptance, and with that, I have begun the slow process of rehoming these skeins of yarn which - quite honestly - deserve better than being stored in an airtight bin for eternity (click here to see all of the yarns which are patiently waiting for their forever homes. I'd love nothing more than to send a few skeins your way.)

IMG_2326
A sampling of the yarns I've listed for destash. Think you can put a few to good use?
Yarn isn't my only weakness, however. I have an insane amount of knitting needles, crochet hooks, and project bags as well - probably more than any singular human should own. And until fairly recently, my knitting needles were a horrifically disorganized mess. This adorable sheep bin became a dumping ground for everything I'd used in a project and was too lazy to put back in its proper place:

IMG_2334
Yup, that's another bin of yarn!
I should have take the "before" photo of the mess of needles, hooks, and interchangeable cords and tips, because it was a doozy. I'm not sure if I was too embarrassed or if I just forgot, but it conveniently slipped my mind before embarking on The Great Needle Reorganization of 2018. The good news is that I had plenty of cases to corral the mess, but there were two instances where I was at a loss for how to restore order: first, with my collection of DPNs, and second, with the variety of interchangeable cords that I've amassed.

IMG_2327
So many needles - and what to do with those cords?!
The first challenge ended up being an easy fix - I treated myself to a Della Q DPN Roll-Up, and now all of my DPNs have a lovely little place to call home:

della
Loving this needle roll-up from Della Q - everything has a place now! 
The cord situation is still unresolved, however. For now, they remain a mess of spaghetti in the storage bin, although they're at least confined to just one corner. I'm really not sure how to restore order with them - does anyone have any clever solutions for this problem?

Needless to say, I'll be looking for ways to use up the stash that remains and have started by collecting possible knit and crochet patterns for mini skeins and leftover yarn here on Pinterest. If you liked this post, I'd love it if you pin the graphic below on Pinterest!



DestashPinterest

Comments

  1. I have seen CD wallets used for cords/circular needles. The kind of wallet has "pages" of clear-ish tough plastic, and you slot the cord/circular in the page, perhaps writing on the corner of the page the size/length.

    ReplyDelete
  2. McAfee.com/activate – We use our computers and smart device for almost every daily chore. This leads to the increase in cybercrime as the
    cybercriminals know what people are doing on their computers. You need an effective security for your system that does not hinder with your job but also protect you from all kind of online threats.

    mcafee.com/activate

    ReplyDelete
  3. www.webroot.com/safe - Webroot is very well known for its immense security from the spyware, viruses. In order to protect your system from the spyware or any other cyber attacks, you can download webroot security tool online from

    www.Webroot.com/Safe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b