Skip to main content

Is Sample or Test Knitting Right For You?

I've been test and sample knitting for several years, and most recently one of my samples made the front cover of the collection - I have to admit, I was elated! Since I always get a few questions when I share photos of my samples, I thought a blog post talking about the ins and outs of test and sample knitting would be a handy reference for anyone curious about this aspect of the yarn industry.

Also, please know that there is also a need for test and sample crocheting, too! I just don't feel like I have strong enough crochet skills to engage in that type of work, and writing "test and sample knitting and crocheting" every time seems like overkill. I hope you'll forgive the shorthand used for the remainder of this post.
That's my sample on the cover of the Radiance collection from KnitPicks!

Sample Knitting VS. Test Knitting
First, let's talk about the differences between sample knitting and test knitting - and please note, sometimes you will be doing both at the same time!

In sample knitting, you are making a sample for display or photography. this could be a re-knit of a previously published pattern, or an all-new pattern which may or may not have been test knitted or tech edited before you work from it.

Test knitting is the process of knitting a pattern to make sure instructions are clear and error-free; unless otherwise stated, you will get to keep the finished project.

The Process
This will vary widely among designers and yarn companies, but generally it works like this: a call for testers or sample knitters is put out (I'll cover some of the common spots for those later in the post),  or an email request is sent to you with a description of the project and the proposed timeline. If this is your first time working with them, they may ask for some examples of your work; this ranges from an informal "send me a link to your Ravelry notebook" to an actual application that you fill out.

Once you pass that first stage and agree to an assignment, the pattern is sent your way (and the yarn, if provided). You will need to swatch and confirm that you have gotten the called-for gauge, after which you will need to provide updates and feedback throughout the process. If you encounter anything that may be problematic for knitters (for instance, unclear instructions, sizing errors, typos, etc), you will need to communicate with the yarn company or designer to resolve them. There is no "winging it" or taking broad interpretations of instructions here - your job is to knit the instructions to the letter; if something doesn't seem right to you, it's your job to speak up. That's why they hired you!
I test knit this sample of the Bosco Cardigan for Knitty.
This is one of the few times that my payment was getting to keep the finished sweater - totally worth it!!

The Timeline

Again, this varies widely, but most companies I've worked with have given me ample time to complete the project - I often have 3 months' notice, even for smaller projects. It makes it pretty easy to slot in a test knitting gig alongside whatever other projects I have in progress.

Plus, remember that you can always decline a test knitting proposal if you think there is any chance you won't be able to finish on time. Not finishing the sample or project on time is a huge naughty no-no, and that means that you probably won't be offered work in the future. Remember, they are relying on you to h old up your end of the bargain so that they can launch a new pattern/yarn/ color at a very specific time. Any delays means a loss of income for the yarn company or designer you are working with.

Finally, if you are stressed out by deadlines, this might not be a good fit for you. I admit, sometimes deadline knitting stresses me out, too - I find that calculating how many rows/pattern repeats/sections I need to knit each week in order to meet the deadline is extremely helpful here. Not only does it break things down into manageable chunks, it also helps me see the bigger picture and feel confident that I can meet the set deadline.

My Evora Cowl sample for KnitPicks. 

Payment
Not every gig pays, so make sure you discuss compensation up front. Generally, monetary compensation is either a lump sum that is calculated by the yardage (ideally, the complexity of the project will also be factored in here!).

Truthfully, unless you are a speedy knitter, you'll barely make minimum wage if you break it down into hours. My approach is to think of this as supplementary income, because I definitely don't knit fast enough to make enough money to pay the bills, and I physically can't knit enough to do this type of work full-time.

Besides money, compensation may be in the form of free or discounted yarn, free patterns, etc. Again, make sure that you are comfortable with the terms before you sign on!
Leonarda Shawl Sample for the Bijou Basin Ranch booth.

Pros & Cons (Or, Why Do I Test Knit?)

Most people are curious about my own personal reasons for test/sample knitting. Besides the extra cash, getting to make something without having to find a home for it is one of the main reasons I get into test knitting. I have so many scarves/cowls/hats as it is....and while I love knitting those types of projects, I am running out of storage space for everything I make! Sample knitting gives me the joy of making something, without the stress of having to find a recipient when I'm done. Also, it's really satisfying to see your work out in the world - I've had samples on display in booths at various fiber festivals, and photos of my work on websites like KnitPicks!

Some places will let you keep the yarn left over from the project (so, free yarn!), while others ask for it back. Quite honestly, I prefer to send it back because my house is overflowing with yarn as it is. So, weirdly, that is a perk for me!

Another bonus is that sometimes you get to try a new color or yarn before it is released, and it goes without saying that many of the patterns you'll make are not yet released - so you get to be the first to know! Of course, the flipside of that is that you have to keep what you're working on a secret - no posting on Instagram!

Having covered some of the pros of test/sample knitting, I'd be remiss if I didn't cover a few of the cons. Here are my top 3:

  • Some designers are not as easy to work with, and I have had to navigate some fairly messy patterns from time to time.
  • You have to follow the instructions to the letter - absolutely NO mods can be made based on your personal preference. 
  • Expect to spend a lot of time swatching for gauge! I usually have to knit 3 swatches before I get the called-for gauge. Also, most of the designers I've worked with are hugely aggressive blockers, so you may need to adjust your own approach from what you would normally do for yourself.

Modern Toque sample for KnitPicks

So Where Can I Get These Kinds of Gigs?

If you've made it this far and still think "hey, I'd like to give this a try," here are the best ways I know to land yourself a test or sample knitting gig:

  • Any yarn company that releases their own patterns likely needs testers and/or sample knitters. I work regularly with Knit Picks and they have an extremely well-run test/sample knitting program, in my opinion. If there's a yarn company you'd like to work with, reach out to them via their email our contact page on their website to inquire about test or sample knitting opportunities!
  • Follow designers you like on Instagram, because they often post calls for test knitters on their accounts. Some of them also post calls in their Ravelry groups, so make sure to check in regularly to see if there are new testing opportunities posted.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of test and sample knitting, and perhaps even inspires you to give it a try! If you have any questions that I didn't cover here, please feel free to leave them in the comments. I'd also like to hear about your own experiences test and sample knitting! 

Like this post? Pin it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b