Skip to main content

In Memoriam: Robin

I can't believe it's been two weeks since we said goodbye to Robin (and it's been just barely a year since his sister passed away).  I know that 18 years is a really long time for a cat to live - especially one who's had a terminal illness for ten of those years - but it still sucks, and we miss our little guy. He endured a lot to be here: daily fluid sessions, a variety of medications, prescription food. It was always on his terms though - he decided every day whether or not he wanted to cooperate. For ten years he did. When he stopped, we respected his wishes and knew it was time to let him go.  

Thankfully, even though things are still pandemic-y here (and everywhere...uggh), we were able to be in the room with him, while wearing masks of course. 2020 has definitely become the year of "I never though I would have to do _____" and that is just another in a series of things I've added to that list. 


Moving during a pandemic wasn't fun, either, but I was more worried about how he would react. He's made some pretty epic moves with us in his younger days, but we spent the last 15 years in Chicago. I'm sure he wasn't thrilled about it, but he was a total champ when it came time to load everything up and go.




Much like his sister, Robin liked to hang out with me when I was crafting....and he always enjoyed napping on the things I made. Even if they weren't done yet. He was often scarce during the summertime in favor of being passed out for hours in a sunbeam, but come winter, he was all about the snuggle. He loved to be hugged and if you did it just right, he would cling to you like a koala bear and smash his face into yours while purring like crazy. It was the best feeling in the world. 

Much like his sister, he enjoyed being on, under, near or around my knitting projects. 









Laying on freshly blocked projects was mainly Tilly's thing, but everyone once in a while, Robin would give it a try.

Mainly, he preferred the bin of unwashed handknits.


Robin was also quite the fan of cross stitching...don't let that grumpy face fool you.


Occasionally he wanted in on the action when I was spinning...


But mainly he wanted to "help" when I was putting a new warp on the loom.



He also fully supported my sewing endeavors.


Sometimes, he even got to nap on the things I sewed.


He wanted to be anywhere the sun was, and in our previous apartment he had a schedule of where he would nap throughout the day to follow it (here's where he would usually start). 

In our new apartment, he preferred to sleep under this small end table (which we dubbed "the castle") which was next to the sliding doors. He could keep an eye on the birds and squirrels and whatever leaves happened to blow by, all without having to move a muscle. 




As he grew older, he adopted some odd (but cute!) habits. In his sleep, he would start chewing on the blanket he was laying on, only to get it stuck on a tooth.


He also liked to sleep on the edge of the couch - unfortunately, in his sleep, he had a habit of falling off, so we would try to gently push an ottoman over to prevent that. Occasionally I would get caught, but sometimes he didn't notice.


And if I thought he was a messy eater when he was young (which he was), that was nothing compared to his golden years.


He wasn't as much of a couch hog in the new apartment, and seemed to prefer to floor for most of his napping needs. I think some of that had to do with his limited ability to jump up (he had a very arthritic hip) as well as his propensity to fall off. Plus, the carpet in our new apartment is quite plush and nice to lay on...he actually preferred it to sleeping on our Casper mattress, if you can believe that. 


It's really weird to not have him around, or any critter for that matter. The house is very quiet. I find I am waving and talking to neighborhood cats (in yards, windows, etc) even more than ever before, which I didn't think was possible. 


Robin is sorely missed, along with his sister. I hope they are goofing off or napping somewhere together right now. Goodnight my beautiful boy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b