Skip to main content

Easy, No-Mess Yarn Dyeing with Abundant Earth Wool Tinctures

Note: a version of this post originally appeared on the Nancy's Knit Knacks blog, for whom I was ghost writing for at the time. Since the future of this business is in flux (last I checked, the website was password protected with a conflicting coming soon/closing business message), I wanted to make sure that this tutorial wasn't lost, so I am republishing it here.

Have you ever admired a skein of hand dyed yarn and wondered if you could produce similar results at home? There are many methods of dyeing yarn: you can dip-dye, steam dye, kettle dye, solar dye, or even ice dye - but the basic principles are the same: heat is used to transfer pigment onto fiber, often using a mordant or fixative to aid the process. 

two skeins of yarn - one is natural and one is hand dyed

Dyeing can be messy, and some dyes create harmful fumes that the at-home dyer may not want to invite into their living space. The good news is that there are plenty of safer options to try: Kool-Aid, food coloring, and even easter egg dye can be used to dye yarns and fibers at home (hot tip: now is the time of year to stock up on easter egg dye, it's on sale after the holiday passes!).

While these are great options for getting your feet wet, there are some limitations in the types of colors you can easily create. That's why I had to try Dye Tinctures from Abundant Earth Fiber. Each packet contains two “tea bags” of pre-measured dye and packets of citric acid (a fixative) to simplify the dyeing process. Using their tinctures, anyone can produce beautiful, professional results on their own. 

You may recognized this yarn from the free scarf pattern I shared on this blog at the start of last month; here is how I dyed the purple skein used in the pattern!

supplies for low-mess dyeing with nkk yarn and abundant earth wool tinctures

Supplies:

  • 1 packet of Wool Tinctures from Abundant Earth Fibers (I used Plum)
  • 1 large 1-gallon glass jar
  • Thermometer
  • Trivet or hot pad
  • Measuring cup
  • Tongs or stir stick
  • Yarn or fiber to dye
  • Optional: newsprint to cover dye area


Important Note: Make sure that anything you use to dye yarn NEVER gets used for food preparation.


If you have never dyed yarn before, the instructions included with the Tinctures will walk you through the process step-by-step. Here are the general steps you’ll follow, for this or when using any similar dye process: 

1. Prepare your skein. Unwind the skein and make note the ties that are securing the ends. If they are knotted too tightly, the dye won’t be able to penetrate all of the yarn strands; loosen these knots as much as you can. If needed, add 1-2 more ties to keep your yarn from getting tangled during the due process (scrap yarn works just fine!). 

2. Dampen your yarn. Soak your yarn in warm tap water - this will help it absorb the dye later on. Gently squeeze the skein to ensure that the water is completely absorbed. 
pre-dampening a skein of yarn to prepare for hand dyeing3. Prepare the jar. If you are using the glass jar method, pre-warm your jar by filling it with warm tap water while your dye water heats up (adding hot water to a cold glass jar could cause it to break). 

warming up the jar for hand dyeing yarn4. Prepare the dye bath. Place a trivet under the jar; when your hot water is the right temperature (between 180-190 degrees Fahrenheit), remove the warm water from the jar and replace it with the hot water. Drop in 1 Wool Tincture Bag and stir to dissolve. Remove the bag when the dye is fully dissolved.removing wool tinctures from dye bath
5. Add yarn. 
Remove excess water from your pre-wet skein and slowly lower the skein into the jar. Taking your time with this step will ensure that it takes the dye evenly - allow it to soak for a few minutes.slowly add yarn to dye bath

submerge skein of yarn in dye bath6. Dye striking. Bond the dye to the fibers by adding the citric acid packet to the jar; stir gently while turning over the skein to encourage the citric acid to disperse. 
7. Exhaust the dye. The water around your yarn will begin to appear clear (or mostly clear); when this happens, the yarn is ready to be removed from the bath. Wait until the jar is cool enough to handle before removing the yarn with the tongs. remove dyed skein of yarn from exhausted dye bath
8. Cool, rinse & dry. Allow the yarn to cool, then gently rinse it in cold water to remove any excess dye. Hang or lay flat to dry. hand dyed skein of yarn
9. Enjoy! (That's the best part!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b