Living in Chicago, I am quite spoiled for awesome fiber-related events in my neck of the woods. However, YarnCon is hand-down my fave: it kicks off the fiber show season every April and attracts some really amazing indie dyers and makers.
I'm thrilled to help spread the word about an exciting KAL called Project Gnome Diplomacy, which is a gnometastic partnership with the folks who put on YarnCon & Anna Hrachovec of Mochimochi Land!
I can't think of a better way to count down the days til YarnCon (which takes place on April 18-19, 2015) than by helping Anna collect all of the tiny gnomes she'll need to complete her upcoming art installation is Seoul, South Korea.
Here are the details:
Mochimochi Land is going to Korea in May, and we want YOUR tiny gnomes to be our ambassadors! In the spirit of craft and community, these gnomes will be unique creations gathered together in a delightfully diverse group of beards and hats for the public to see and be inspired by. They will be part of an art project for a Mochimochi Land show (running late May to late June) at Everyday Mooonday, a gallery in Seoul dedicated to character art.
Why gnomes? Gnomes are big players in Mochimochi Land—some even say that they’re the glue that holds Mochimochi Land together. And while gnomes are familiar characters to us in the West, they’re relatively unknown in Asia, so we want to introduce the idea of the gnome, which to us represents tradition, playfulness, and magic.. (Just like knitting!)
How you can participate:
- Knit or crochet ANY gnome (see pattern links below) under 4” tall in the comfort of your own home
- ETA: You can share your WIPs and FOs here in the Gnome Gnitalong thread in the YarnCon Ravelry Group!
- Stop by the Gnome Creation Station at YarnCon - patterns, gneedles, yarn and stuffing will be provided!
- Drop off your Gnome(s) at the Yarncon Gnome Creation Station
- Can’t make it to YarnCon? Mail your Gnome(s) to: Mochimochi Land, 4918 N Oakley Ave #2, Chicago, IL 60625 Note: Your gnome(s) MUST arrive by April 21st. Gnomes that arrive after this date may not be included in the project and will not be returned.
Spread The Word!
- Use the hashtag #YarnConGnome
Please Gnote: Your Gnome will not be returned to you, so be sure you have said a proper goodbye before sending him on his journey!
- http://mochimochiland.com/shop/tiny-things-collection-3/ (Pattern also appears in Tiny Gnome Kit and Teeny Tiny Mochimochi) Get $3 off the pattern collection with code GNOMEDIPLOMACY through April 15th
- Crochet Amigurumi Gnome ( free)
- Knitted Pocket Gnome (free)
- Knitted Traveling Gnome (free)
Prizes! There are prizes!
- Each Gnome mailed to the address above will be entered in a grand prize drawing for a “box of fun” from Seoul! (Please enclose your email address to be entered.)
- Each Gnome turned into the Gnome Creation Station at YarnCon will entitle its maker to a raffle ticket for the fabulous prize drawings which will be happening at YarnCon!