Skip to main content

Creativation 2019 Recap

Last year, I went to Creativation for the very first time, and I absolutely loved it. I've been going to industry trade shows ever since I started working at Stitchcraft Marketing, but until attending Creativation, they have all been focused entirely on needlecraft (knitting, crochet, needlepoint, etc).


Obviously, I love yarn and knitting, but every waking moment is filled with it, so it's really a fresh of breath air to spend time seeing other creative crafts outside of the yarn world. This year, I found myself drawn to a lot of the paper crafts - cardmaking in particular kept catching my eye, Some of the display samples were absolute works of art, far cooler than anything you would find in a card store. I wish I had taken more photos, but this is the only one I had on my phone:

Concord and 9th
The Edible Arts booths are always worth checking out because they make the most incredible things that I couldn't imagine eating, they're so spectacular. Last year I was delighted to spot a few knitted cakes in the Satin Ice booth, so imagine my surprise when I saw this:

Satin Ice
Wow! You can't tell from far away, but every piece of that cake has a realistic texture for the yarn, knitted fabrics. It's stunning. The cake artist (I assume that's what they call themselves) behind it was doing live demonstrations showing how she creates the knitted designs in fondant, and she was working pieces for a new cake:



Some of the big-box yarn brands had eye-catching display; I loved this wall of Pantone colors on the back of the Lion Brand booth, which was so big, I couldn't get it all in one shot:



Red Heart's pom-pom version of Starry Night also tickled my fancy: 


My other favorite part of Creativation is the Make & Takes, which are fun, free crafts you can do in a booth and take home with you. There were lots of fun washi tape crafts (I decorated a plastic storage container and a clothes pin), but one of my favorites was learning how to do an image transfer onto packing tape in the Scotch Brands booth. Here are the votives that my colleague and I made at the show: 


I will definitely be playing around with this technique and I'm sure a tutorial will be appearing on this blog at some point. 

Invariably, I come home with some swag, although I really try not to these days - I have so much stuff as it is! However, the Sizzix booth had an irresistible sloth brooch make & take that I ended up bringing home to finish, since I am epically slow at sewing (hmm, seems like a bit of irony there, no?). I also brought home an adorable DIY cat ornament kit from Fabric Editions, in addition to all of these other goodies: 

For those of you who follow me on Instagram, expect to see lots of these things pop up in upcoming Timelapse Tuesday videos and other posts! You can also see more photos and video from the show by visiting my Instagram profile and watching my Creativation highlights: 

I'll be contributing to a post for the Stitchcraft Marketing blog covering the craft trends spotted during the show later next month, but here are a few things that struck my fancy while walking the show floor:
Letterboards and funny quotes aplenty.

Cacti and succulent motifs are still super popular. I like the idea of plants I can't kill!
Avocados are the new llamas.
Kawaii amigurumi!
Yarn craft is still very much doing Hygge (not pictured: Red Heart even has a yarn called Hygge). I fell in love with these oversize mitered square pillows from Caron.

Macrame is having way more than a moment!
Now that I'm back from the show, I'm excited to try some new-to-me crafts when I need a break from knitting, crocheting and weaving. I can't wait to share them with you - let me know which crafts interests you most in the comments!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b