Skip to main content

Big Changes

It's been a while since I've blogged - almost 3 months, to be precise. Sorry for running silent, but during that time, we were in the process of relocating from Chicago to Kansas City. If you think that moving to a new state is stressful under normal conditions, then you can imagine how fun it is during a pandemic.

There were many factors that went into making this decision - which, of course, was not easy. However, COVID-19 made it pretty darn clear that we needed to be closer to our friends and family in KC. Perhaps the most undeniable sign was when a dear family member died suddenly right before the virus hit - literally right before, as in the very week before the state of Illinois began its Shelter in Place order. He was a very private person who didn't like social media, so I don't feel as though I can share the details surrounding his death, but it was not COVID-related.

I wish we were the only ones who have lost a loved one during this time, but of course, that is not the case. I defy you to find someone who has NOT been affected by this pandemic, and/or lost someone (either as a result of the virus, or an unrelated cause). All of us are in the same crappy boat of not knowing when we can honor the memory of our loved one and get closure. Plus, not being able to hug and comfort those who are grieving also sucks.

And then, when you widen the scope of all the truly messed up things that are happening right now - there is so much pain and suffering, unrest and uncertainty. 2020 is clearly the worst timeline. Something in our society is broken, and I don't think our current leadership is capable (or willing) to fix it. I don't know what else to say other than VOTE. Like your life depends on it. Because even if yours doesn't (and I find that hard to believe), so many other people's lives do.


I'm not one to lecture people about politics, or my views on it, so I'll leave it at that. For now, I'm focusing on sewing more face masks for people who need them. In fact, this week, I sewed my 100th mask, if you can believe it. My new goal is 200 face masks, which at this rate, I think is both doable and necessary. And I am still knitting, albeit not as much as before.

Just so I don't end on a totally down note...I'm happy to report that Robin, our 18-year-old special needs cat, made the trip down to KC like a champ. He's moved from Portland to KC to Chicago and back to KC again....he's one tough little dude! He currently loves to nap in a sun puddle underneath this little Ikea stool, which we've dubbed his castle.


We're still in the process of unpacking but I'm hoping to host a virtual housewarming on Instagram in the next week or so for anyone who wants to see our new place!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b