Skip to main content

Free Scarf Pattern: Don't Overthink It

When I began knitting this scarf last year, I had no idea what story was going to unfold. It started with some skeins of yarn that my then-client sent me for a dyeing tutorial (UPDATE: since the NKK site is no longer functional, I have republished the dyeing tutorial here). Mike had just purchased Nancy's Knit Knacks and Strauch Fiber Equipment, and we had all sorts of exciting things planned for the future, including new products for both brands, revamped online stores & the addition of small-batch yarn to the mix. These skeins were from the first batch of yarn that he'd sourced locally, and after dyeing one of the skeins with some Wool Tinctures from Abundant Earth, I quickly got to work on a simple two-color scarf design which we were planning to offer for free to Mike's newsletter subscribers.

Unfortunately, Mike passed away last fall before any of these plans could come to fruition. Throughout the summer, I suspected that there was something serious going on with him, but I had no idea that he was battling a particularly vicious form of cancer that ultimately claimed his life. 

I'm not sure what the future holds for Nancy's Knit Knacks, but the current website has no products in the store, which is probably not a great sign. As I was cleaning my craft room recently, I came across this scarf sample and realized that I could still make the pattern available for free, and perhaps it could be my way to honor Mike's memory. I only knew him for about a year during my time at Stitchcraft, but he was an ambitious, kind person who had a passion for all things handmade. A woodworker by trade, he began making parts for Nancy's Knit Knacks long before he purchased NKK or Strauch, and as he took on both businesses, it was clear that he was truly interested in learning all about the fiber arts world. I was absolutely gutted when I heard of his passing, especially knowing that he was a young single dad with a small daughter.

So, I'm offering this pattern for free with the hope that you'll use it to put something good out into the world. Knit it for a friend who's fighting cancer (or any other life-threatening illness), donate it to a shelter or hospice, or give the money you might have spent on a paid pattern to a charity that supports cancer research or those battling cancer. These are just a few ideas - feel free to do whatever works for you. 

Although the name seems a little lighthearted given the story behind it, I remember it made Mike smile, so I'm keeping it. If you happen to knit this scarf, make sure to tag me on Instagram @stefaniegrrr so I can check it out. And, if you like this pattern, click here to get future blog posts sent to you via email. I usually blog a couple times each month, so this is a great way to make sure you don't miss a post. 



Don’t Overthink It! Scarf

By Stefanie Goodwin-Ritter

A simple slipped-stitch pattern creates a fun visual element to this knitted scarf. Variegated and handspun yarns are especially suited to this easy-to-memorize stitch pattern, but virtually any yarn will look stunning in your favorite colors. You could also use various kinds of scrap yarn in place of Color B for a totally unique version!

Skill Level: Beginner


Sizing: 6 inches width, 68.5 inches length


Materials

  • 1 skein of thick-and-thin Handspun yarn: approx. 250 Yards, DK Weight (12-14 WPI), undyed (Color A)
  • 1 skein of thick-and-thin Handspun yarn: approx, 250 Yards, DK Weight (12-14 WPI), hand-dyed in Plum (Color B)
  • US #7 Needles
  • Darning Needle

Gauge
: 18 sts and 30 rows = 4” in Slipped Stitch Stripes pattern

Abbreviations:

CO - cast on
k - knit
p - purl
rep - repeat
RS - right side
st(s) - stitch(es)
sl - slip
wyif - with yarn in front
WS - wrong side

To knit scarf:

With Color A, cast on 28 stitches with your preferred stretchy cast-on method (sample uses long-tail cast on). Work ribbing as follows:

Row 1 (RS): K3, *P2, K2, rep from * to last 5 stitches, P2, K3.
Row 2 (WS): K3, *K2, P2, rep from * to last 5 sts, K5.

Work rows 1 & 2 for 1.5 stitches.

Begin Working Slipped Stitch Stripes:
Row 3 (RS): With Color B, K3, *slip 1 wyif, k1, rep from * last 3 sts, K3.
Row 4 (WS): With Color B, K3, P to last 3 sts, K3.
Row 5 (RS): With Color A, K3, *slip 1 wyif, k1, rep from * last 3 sts, K3.
Row 6 (WS): With Color A, K3, P to last 3 sts, K3.

Work Rows 3-6 until scarf measures approximately 67 inches long from CO edge, or 1.5 inches shorter than overall desired length. End with Color B (Row 4). Break Color B.

With Color A, work ribbing:
Row 1 (RS): K3, *P2, K2, rep from * to last 5 stitches, P2, K3.
Row 2 (WS): K3, *K2, P2, rep from * to last 5 sts, K5.

Work rows 1 & 2 for 1.5 stitches. Bind off all stitches in pattern.


Weave in all ends. Hand wash in your favorite wool wash and lay flat to dry. 

Like this post? Pin it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b