Skip to main content

A Bevy of FO's

Today's post will be filled with FO's I've been meaning to share with my dear readers for quite some time.  Hope you're sitting down for this!

I realized there are some projects I made for holiday gifts that were never shared here as FOs, only WIPs.  The first among these would be the crazy rainbow socks I knitted for my husband, Tyler, who made one casual off-hand remark about wanting some crazy-colored socks and then promptly forgot about it.  Of course, I didn't, and immediately ran out to purchase the brightest skein of sock yarn I could find. 

Yarn:  Zauberball Crazy

Pattern:  Tsunami by Judy Sumner from Knitted Socks East & West

I also knit my grandmother a pair of socks every year for Christmas.  She loves them because not only are they unique and knit with love (awww!), but they also don't compress on her ankles the way store-bought socks do, so they are infinitely more comfortable for her to wear.  You may recall seeing these intermittently over the last few months - a slightly modified version of my sock pattern that debuted in the Sanguine Gryphon's Fall Steam Punk collection. 

Yarn:  The Sanguine Gryphon Skinny Bugga!  In Gryphon's Purple Soldier Fly (Limited-Edition Colorway)

Pattern:  Heliotrope Stockings

The next pair of socks were intended for my father, but as soon as I finished them, I knew they wouldn't fit him - I always knit my colorwork too tight, and these were no exception.  On the plus side, they fit me pretty well...so hurray, a surprise gift for myself!

Yarn:  Knitpicks Simply Cotton Sport in Bittersweet Heather and Green Tea Heather

Pattern:  Sneaky Argyle Socks by Wendy D. Johnson from Toe-Up Socks for Everybody

As soon as I was finished with all of my gift knitting, I cast on for some fancy cabled gloves using some possum yarn that I'd been wanting to play around with.  These look complex, but they were actually pretty simple to make, and they fit fantastically!  This is the first drops pattern I've knit to completion (I'm still working on the sport-weight cardigan - I'm about halfway through the sleeves, which I'm knitting two-at-a-time, but that's another post for another day!)  There are certainly some different phrasings to get used to, and it was kind of fun using the metric system, but overall I found it fairly easy to follow.

Yarn:  Zealana Kia Ora Rimu DK (60% Merino, 40% Possum)

Pattern:  Drops Design ME-015

I also couldn't resist knitting with some of my Christmas yarn booty immediately - and this skein of Sanguine Gryphon Codex, a beautiful BFL/silk blend, was irresistible.  Lately I'm all about the fancy cables - and somehow I've never knit a Brooklyn Tweed pattern.  How is that possible?  I'm not sure, but it's been remedied now!  Again, this is a case of something that looks incredibly complex, but I assure you it's a very fast knit - and my new favorite winter warmer!

Yarn:  The Sanguine Gryphon Codex (52% Silk, 48% Blue-Faced Leicester Wool)

Pattern: Habitat by Jared Flood

Also had to finish knitting the languishing stuffed alpaca from another time and place - he's finally all in one piece! 

Yarn:  Blue Sky Alpacas 100% Alpaca Sport Weight in Medium Tan

Pattern:  Zeke the Aloof Alpaca by Rebecca Danger






I should probably take down the Christmas tree now that I've knit the other Rebecca Danger Monster Ornament.  Or maybe I should let Olive hang around a bit before she's retired to the ornament box for eleven months....

Yarn:  Shi Bui Sock in Cranberry and Shi Bui Staccato in Apple

Pattern:  Olive the Christmas Monster by Rebecca Danger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b