Skip to main content

WIPs & KALs

Win these needles in the
Conversation Socks KAL!
How is it already October?! I feel like I've been saying this every month - and I probably have. At any rate, I'm excited that autumn is finally here: it's my favorite time of year, made better only by so many exciting things happening in the world of fiber. Next week is Spinzilla, but there are also a ton of KALs happening which I can't resist joining. Translation: I will be doing ALL OF THE THINGS and then some this month.

The first KAL one that's near and dear to my heart, because it features my designs! The Conversation Socks KAL starts today, and it was officially announced last week here on the Knitter's Pride blog. Basically, you just have to knit any 1 of my 5 Conversation Socks patterns during the month of October and tag your project with "KPConvoSocks" in your Ravelry notebook to be entered to win a Dreamz DPN Sock Set, generously provided by Knitter's Pride! While I'm thinking of it, feel free to use #KPConvoSocks when posting photos on Instagram and elsewhere so I can see what you're making!

However, that's not the only prize you can win this month! Two skein of SilverSpun yarn (generously donated by the Feel Good Yarn Company) are up for grabs, too!
Win 2 skeins of SilverSpun yarn
in the Conversation Socks KAL!
This is the yarn that is used in the the most recent pattern from the Conversation Socks eBook, the Say What? socks, and it is a really unique yarn (click here to read more!).

There may also be a few more yarny prizes announced later this month, so stay tuned! Again, the way to be entered in all of the prize drawings is to tag your Ravelry project with "KPConvoSocks" in your notebook (and, of course, it must be finished by the end of this month - midnight CST on 10/31/14).

Double-dipping is allowed for this KAL, so if your project will also work for another KAL, by all means, go for it. I'll be knitting a pair of Chittery Chattery socks for Tyler in Teal & Willow GEMS Sport, which I think will also qualify for the Delusional Knitter's Fall Session of the Season Sock Syndrome KAL that's happening now through December 20!


Also starting today is the Sweatshop of Love Fall KAL; it runs through November 30, and you can choose which pattern you want to knit from 80 awesome choices - click here for more info! I will be knitting Excelsior from the Holla Knits Home Collection using 3 colors of Spud & Chloe Fine from my stash: Orangutan, Goldfish and Ice Cream.


Currently in progress is the Spud & Chloe Chill Chaser KAL, which lasts through October 31. There is an excellent grand prize for only lucky participant who finishes before the end of October, and children's sizes of the Chill Chaser are eligible for the prize drawing! I happen to be knitting a cardigan for myself, and I have finished the body and am closing in on the sleeves, which I'm knitting two-at-a-time:


Also in progress is the Hops & Hanks Fall KAL, which lasts through the end of this month. Any project is eligible so long long as it is autumnal in some way, and it also needs to have been started and completed within the KAL dates (9/1-10/31). For this one, I'm re-knitting a pattern from my back catalog, the Sweetest Baby Socks. In keeping with the fall theme, I chose a colorway of yarn called "Autumn Jewels" in a new yarn that's available exclusively from A Good Yarn Sarasota.


Um, yeah, I might be a little KAL obsessed at the moment! If you know of any other cool KALs I've missed, leave them in the comments - clearly I need to add a few more to my queue for this month!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b