Skip to main content

TNNA Recap + DC Sightseeing!

I was pretty excited when I heard that this year's Summer TNNA show was in DC. I've never been there, so it seemed like the perfect way to see a bit of the Capitol, which otherwise I probably wouldn't visit because I have so many cities and countries higher on the list. I earmarked Monday afternoon/evening for sightseeing and booked a flight out the next day. But before I get to all that - I should probably talk about the show! 
This is my 6th (or maybe 7th?) TNNA, so it was pretty much what I anticipated. Friday opened with the fashion show, and if that is any indication of what's to come this fall, you better start knitting a giant gray poncho NOW. Seriously, there were a lot of flowy, oversized garments walking the runway! Most of Saturday and Sunday was spent walking the show floor when I wasn't in meetings. Here are just a few of my favorite things which I remembered to photograph (there are so many more I totally forgot to snap photos in, oops!).
A new linen blend yarn from Manos.
Adorable mugs from Stuff You Love
All of the hand-dyed yarn from Ancient Arts.
Adorable knitted sheep from Kraemer Yarns.
Everything in the Red Gate Stitchery booth was incredibly cute.
I had a few more client meetings on Monday morning, then was free as a bird to sightsee. Of course, I was pretty tired at this point and nearly napped away the afternoon til it was time to meet my friend Allyson (of Holla Knits and Sweatshop of Love fame) to go to the Nationals game. Somehow, I made myself head out into the oppressive heat to walk around for several hours. I went through Chinatown...
Then walked by several Smithsonian museums to arrive at the Washington Monument. All of the flags were at half mast due to the recent tragedy in Orlando; it was a sad but striking image.


At this point I was pretty tired, but I knew I should keep going. I continued to the next site, the World War II Memorial, which is just before the reflecting pool. 

And then walked up the nightmare of steps to see Mr. Lincoln. It was fun to play "count the selfies" while taking it all in.
I lingered a bit to enjoy the shade, took a moment to enjoy the reflection of the Washinton monument in the reflecting pool, then pressed on to the Vietnam War Memorial. 
This one had lots of mementos for loved ones, and I overheard a lot of folks talking about when they or their loved ones served.

After that was a long, sweaty walk to swing by the White House. Everyone says it's quite small, and guess what? They're right! Also, I love taking photos of other people taking photos....this lady's pose is classic.

From there, it was a 20 minute walk back to the hotel down New York Street. I'm not terrible with directions, but I do appreciate having Siri navigate me when I'm in unfamiliar territory. DC was actually pretty easy to get around in, and I even successfully used their mass transit to get to and from the airport and the ball game. Speaking of which, I got back to the hotel with just barely enough time to take a quick shower to freshen up and get out to Nationals park.

Turns out that Allyson had a friend with season tickets who couldn't make the game, so he gave them both to us! Score! We met up at this cool outdoor bar that was basically a parking lot with old train cars stacked up as walls. There were food and beer vendors, some games and a live band playing terrible covers. We had a hard time taking a decent selfie to commemorate the experience, but you get the idea. 
We could walk to the stadium from there (we basically just had to cross a street) and then we took in the game! The last baseball game I went to was Royals at White Sox earlier this year, and man, are Sox fans blasé. It was night and day - Nats fans are really into it, much like Royals fans, so it was a really fun game to watch. 
I flew home the next day feeling really relaxed, which I don't think has ever happened after a trade show. Perhaps I should make a point to do a little sightseeing more often!

Comments

  1. It was great to see you at the show. I had so much fun sightseeing before the show - such an awesome city!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b