Skip to main content

Fresh Designs Series: Scarves and Shawls

I should probably start by saying that I have a design coming out in the upcoming Fresh Designs: Toys book, and I'm a huge fan of Cooperative Press and Shannon Okey. Through the Cooperative Press, Shannon has managed to publish some of the most interesting titles in the yarn industry. California Revival Knits, Extreme Double-Knitting, and now the Fresh Designs series readily spring to mind as shining examples! I volunteered myself to review the books that recently came out because I'm really excited about this series (currently out are Scarves, Shawls, Sweaters and Men) and jumped at the opportunity to help promote my fellow Fresh Designs designers.

All of the books in this series share a clean, modern graphic aesthetic. Patterns are clearly-written and laid out in a way that's easy to follow. The images of the patterns are directly followed by the pattern, which is something I appreciate (I hate having to search through a PDF document when all the photos are at the front and the patterns are crammed onto a few pages in the back). Speaking of the photography, the photos feature non-conventional models (another win in my book) and each project is well-represented. The lighting and photo styling highlight the patterns' design feature, be it the stitch pattern, construction element, or even the yarn itself.

Scrunchy Scarf by Heather C. Keiser
Stitch patterns are both written out and charted when necessary, and the charts are actually readable (don't you hate it when a chart is so tiny, you have to take a trip to Kinko's to blow it up 300% just so you can knit your project?), except for a few cases where there is some seriously intricate lace and a small-ish chart is unavoidable. Schematics are also provided for all of the garments and any of the more intricately-constructed accessories. There is a complete glossary at the back of the book, but all the information you need - gauge, yarn information, sizing, etc. - appears on the pattern page. No one was able to skate by vague pattern information such as "gauge isn't important for this project" or "one size fits most" - and if they did, they still had to provide specific measurements for those of us who prefer to check. Then let's talk about sizing - each garment had at least 4 size options, sometimes more (in general beginning at a size Small and working up to an XL or XXL).

Looky! A model with tattoos!
Scarf Scarf Revolution by Hannah Cuviello
Additionally, I love the diversity within the series. Across the board, there are many different designers contributing to the series. The range of indie dyers is impressive, too - Indigodragonfly, The Sanguine Gryphon (now Cepahlopod Yarns and The Verdant Gryphon, of course), Yarn Love, Kangaroo Dyer, Three Irish Girls....the list goes on! There are also some commercial brands to round out the list - Berocco, Rowan, Blue Sky Alpacas, and Debbie Bliss, to name a few.

Intersection Shawl by Samantha Roshak
Each collection features 10 designs and there is literally something for everyone. I know that's a cliche, but it's true in this case. Let's take Fresh Designs: Scarves as an example: there are a few rectangular scarves ranging from simple stitch patterns to pretty lace (Monkey Puzzle, Majere, Diamond Sampler, for example). There's a cabled hooded scarf (Avonleigh), a ruched rectangular scarf (Scrunchy Scarf), and an infinity scarf (Shaker Mobius) for those who have graduated from the basics.  When you're ready to really try something new, there's the double-knit entrelac Scarf Scarf Revolution (named for the video game) and the free-form "recipe" for the Tossed Leaves scarf (pictured on the book cover above), which can be assembled any way you like to create a scarf, stole, cowl or shawl. Personally, I think it'd make a cool bedspread, too!

Tyrolean Capelet by Baerbel Hurst
Fresh Designs: Shawls
Fresh Designs: Shawls also offers a similar range, from the simple eyelet triangle Good Luck Shawl to the intricate lacework of the Sea of Tulips Stole. Several patterns use interesting techniques that are perfect for knitters who want to expand their shawl-making horizons: the Tyrolean Capelet combines cables with simple embroidery accents (I think even I could manage this one, and I'm the first to admit I'm terrible at embroidery); the Floating Cables Wrap is a lacy mesh shawl with a beaded, cabled edge; the Shrinking Cables Shawl is worked from the bottom up with clever decreases worked each time a cable crosses, resulting in the shrinking cables effect (and a shawl that knits faster as you progress!). Even the Intersection Shawl is more than meets the eye, using short rows to create a circular, lacy shawl with a ribbed border that is not only stable but easy to block (I have yet to purchase blocking wires, so this is right up my alley).

Are you excited to get knitting? You can order hard copies and PDF versions of these books directly from Cooperative Press - click here! You can also purchase digital copies via Ravelry (here and here). I'll be reviewing Fresh Designs: Sweaters and Fresh Designs: Men next, so be sure to check back soon!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b